- Create your Common App account as of August 1st. Start filling out your college application and add your colleges to application list. Visit www.commonapp.org.
- Don’t forget to find at least 10 colleges where you want to apply.
- If you need to retake SAT, ACT, and /or SAT Subject test, see your counselor to register.
- Decide on teachers who you ask for recommendation letters. You will need at least two recommendation letters for your college applications.
- Review your college essay for submission.
- See your counselor to connect your Common App account to your Naviance account.
- Fill out brag sheet and give it to your teachers to obtain your recommendation letters. Also add teacher names to your Naviance account for teacher recommendation letters.
- Search and add non-Common App colleges to your Naviance account.
- Talk to your counselor about Early Decision/Early Action application plans, if you consider one.
- If you are registered for SAT, ACT, or SAT Subject test, ask your counselor for study materials.
- Keep working on your applications. Make your application as perfect as possible.
- Follow up with your teachers for recommendation letters.
- If you have Early Decision/Early Action applications, make them ready for submission. Many colleges set deadline as November 1st.
- Don’t submit your applications before your counselor’s approval.
- Make sure all your applications are ready to submit, reviewed by your counselor, and submitted before Thanksgiving.
- If you finish your college applications, you may start your scholarship search at FastWeb. Contact to your counselor for available scholarships and application webpages.
- If you receive any letter or email from colleges regarding your application and/or your financial aid, please immediately notify your counselor.
- Fill out FAFSA worksheet before your real FAFSA application. Visit http://www.fafsa.ed.gov for more information or ask your counselor.
- Get your PIN number for FAFSA application. Please visit www.pin.ed.gov to obtain your PIN number.
- FAFSA starts January 2nd. Fill out your FAFSA application no later than January 31st.
- After you finish your FAFSA application, don’t forget to fill out your TAP application.
- Don’t forget FAFSA and TAP are requirements to get SAY YES scholarships!
- Fill out and submit SAY YES scholarship application.
February, March, & April:
- Apply for more scholarships.
- Contact colleges regarding your application and financial aid. Send any missing document in a timely manner.
- Make your final decision about which college you will attend. You need to notify your prospective college before May 1st about your decision, otherwise you may lose your placement.
May & June:
- Keep in touch with the college/university of your choice regarding financial aid, freshman orientation registration, class registration, placement tests, etc.