UNIFORM AND PERSONAL APPEARANCE
Updated for 2016-2017 School Year
BuffSci has a dress code policy to help create a safe and orderly environment, instill discipline, and eliminate the competition and distractions caused by varied dress styles. In addition, we believe that a dress code creates a serious intellectual atmosphere, prepares students for the workplace, and allows students to show pride in being part of the BuffSci family.
You will be expected to arrive in uniform every day. Please cooperate, display modesty and neatness, and take pride in these clean, neat and attractive uniforms. All shirts must be tucked in at all times.
Uniform Policy Enforcement
Each student is expected to and MUST, arrive to school in uniform. If a student arrives to school out of uniform, the student’s parents will be contacted immediately. Students are REQUIRED to remain in their uniform for the entire school day, including lunch periods.
THE BUFFALO ACADEMY OF SCIENCE UNIFORM
- Khaki or Black dress pants and/or knee-length skirts, properly sized (must fit firmly around the waistline).
- Solid Brown or Black Dress Belt: properly fitting and no decorative buckles.
- Capris and dress shorts may be worn from the beginning of the school year until September 30th, and from May 1st until the end of the school year only. Cargo shorts are not permitted.
- BuffSci Blue long or short sleeve button down shirt.
- BuffSci long or short sleeve polo shirt.
- BuffSci sweatshirt. BuffSci collared shirt must be worn underneath.
- All shirts must be purchased from BuffSci.
- BuffSci t-shirts, club shirts, honor roll shirts and other special shirts may be worn on Fridays.
- All button-down shirts must be tucked in.
- Students may wear dress shoes or sneakers.
- Boys may wear solid dress socks.
- Girls may wear solid dress socks or tights.
- Boots may not be worn in school.
- One pair of stud earrings or one pair of hoop earrings (no larger than a quarter).
- One watch or bracelet.
- One fine necklace.
- One ring.
Additional Dress Code Requirements and Limitations
In addition to making sure you are wearing the school uniform, BuffSci requires that you follow these additional guidelines in terms of uniform appearance and personal appearance.
- Pants and skirts must fit properly; they may not be baggy or sagged.
- The following styles of pants are not permitted: spandex, denim, skinny jeans, leggings, yoga pants, stirrup pants, cargo pants, athletic pants.
- Belts must fit properly and not hang down when buckled.
- All button-down shirts are expected to be tucked in.
- Sandals, flip-flops, clogs, high heels, platform shoes, and boots are not permitted. Winter boots may be worn to school during inclement weather, but students must change into appropriate footwear once in the school building.
- Undershirts must be solid white, black, navy, or brown and not visible (undershirts must be tucked in).
- Clothing which is cut, slashed or has holes, is prohibited.
- Headgear of any kind may not be worn in school. The only exception is for those whose religious beliefs require it and medical concerns. Headgear must be solid navy, white, black, or brown.
- Students may not wear hats, caps, bandanas, sunglasses, combs, picks, etc., inside the building.
- Hoodies, coats, jean jackets, jogging/athletic suits, gloves, or clothing generally accepted as outer wear may not be in school/class.
- Undergarments may not be exposed at any time
- Clothing that is deemed to be disruptive to the learning environment is not acceptable
- Jewelry that may be deemed a weapon is not allowed. This includes rings covering multiple fingers, spiked necklaces, belts with large buckles, and chain like objects.
- Facial piercings and tattoos may not be visible.
- Clothing associated with gangs or street clubs/crews are not acceptable.
- Special clothing may be required in specific situations.
- Cosmetics should be appropriate for school and not attract undue attention.
- Honor Shirts may only be worn by students who have earned them.
- Backpacks/ Totes/ Purses/Fanny Packs are not allowed classrooms or the lunchroom. Backpacks and totes should only be used to transport books and supplies to and from school. Any student attempting to enter a class with any of the above items will not be allowed in class. They must fit in lockers. If your backpack is larger than your locker and it will NOT fit, it may not be brought to school!!! Shop carefully.
Dress-Down Days and Field Trip Dress Code
On certain days students may be permitted to have a no uniform day. While student may be permitted to not wear their uniform certain restrictions still apply, such as:
- Skirts, dresses, skorts, and shorts MUST be knee length.
- Shorts, skorts and mini-skirts with leggings above the knee are not permitted.
- Ripped jeans are not permitted.
- Properly fitting and buckled at all times.
- Belts MAY NOT have large buckles, or spikes.
- Blouses/shirts should be constructed so that the top of the shoulder is covered and is fitted under the arms (no halter tops, tank tops, strapless tops, spaghetti straps, or bare-shouldered tops of any type will be allowed).
- Blouses/shirts which expose any portion of the waist, hips, or midriff are not allowed.
- Blouses/shirts which are not appropriate for school include those which are low-cut, see-through, backless, or tube tops.
- Hoodies are not permitted.
No flip-flops, Crocs, sandals, high/wedged heels, boots or open toed/open backed shoes.